New features on selected models and brands include energy saving, automation and improved air quality. Some of these features can be deemed as essential by certain individuals, and others are just nice to have.
- Energy-saver switch: Usually an air conditioner fan runs continuously, even when the compressor is stopped. An energy saving switch saves you money by turning the fan off when the thermostat turns off the compressor.
- "Check filter" light: Filters need to be cleaned or replaced from time to time. This nifty light will remind you when it is time to check the filters.
- Oscillating vents: These make the air flow from side to side in order to cool the room more evenly and swiftly.
- Remote control: You will need this if you would like to be able to adjust the temperature from anywhere in the office or room. Particularly helpful in the middle of the night.
- Sleep mode: Avoid night-time chills with this feature that slightly raises the room temperature at night.
- Timer: You can set the air conditioner to automatically turn on or off so that the room is the preferred temperature before your arrival.
- Ventilation/exhaust: Allows fresh outside air to circulate in the room.
- Manufacturer's warranty: The warranty differs between brands but is normally for a period of one or two years and covers parts and labour.